Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Scrapathon Tiramisu

We've had several requests for the recipe we served at the Scrapthon so here you go!

Tiramisu
from Gourmet Magazine

Expresso Syrup:
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup strong brewed espresso coffee
1/4 cup Italian or domestic brandy, optional

Mascarpone Filling:
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pound mascarpone cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 pound savoiardi (imported Italian ladyfingers), domestic ladyfingers, or sliced sponge cake Finishing Cocoa powder for dusting the surface

For the syrup, combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, cool and add coffee and optional brandy.

For the filling, whip cream with sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Fold cream into softened mascarpone.

To assemble, place a layer of the savoiardi, ladyfingers or sponge cake slices in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish or gratin dish. Sprinkle with half the syrup. Spread with half the filling. Repeat with remaining savoiardi, syrup and filling, spreading the top smooth, using a metal spatula.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before serving. Immediately before serving place cocoa in a fine strainer and shake a light coating on surface.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

all i had to do was skim through the ingredients to know this one's too tough for me! sounds great -- Lorrie promised some to Marie and I, hard at work at The Store, but needless to say that fell through -- we lost out -- but i'll bet it was wonderful!!

phuong said...

WOW...this looks DELICIOUS. can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

OK, Julie, I'm drooling. Even tho I love to cook, I don't quite make it in the dessert category. So.... when are ya makin this for us that didn't get to have some????
:-)

Anonymous said...

It was the best Tiramisu I have ever had! Thanks for psoting this!

fever team said...

I'll be making a special batch just for Patti and Marie in a couple weeks. Be patient ladies--I'm so sorry we neglected to bring you any but I promise I'll come through!

Anonymous said...

HA -- guilt-tripped you into it!!! i'm shameless -- whatever works -- i'm desperate for non-chocolate sweets!!! better make a BIG BATCH of it!!! and phuong -- great to hear from you! your little guy is absolutely adorable!

phuong said...

I want a batch too! Patti, teach me your guilt trip techniques! Ya think me being Asian would mean I would have some...but they are not as good as your since you got a whole BATCH of tiramisu!

I can just imagine it...an entire tray, a fork, and a mouth fool of drool! I am JEALOUS!

Miss you ladies a bunch!
P

Pam Sivage said...

The Tiramisu was out of this world delicious!!
The Soup Lorrie made was almost as good and I "think" she promised the receipe too????

Anonymous said...

phuong -- sorry, being Asian just doesn't rank up there with being Irish Catholic in the guilt-trip department!!! it is soooooooo good to hear from you and we all miss you -- will you be coming back to Texas when your time in Paris is over? oops -- i'm hogging the Fever Blogsite -- but WE MISS YOU! hugs -- patti