Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Design Team Member Spotlight: Vicki Flinchum!


We are so amazed and pleased with what our talented Design Team members come up with each month and thought you'd enjoy getting to know them a bit better. Our first artist is Vicki Flinchum. Here is her thoughtful and moving answer to the question, "Why do you scrapbook?" Have you ever considered that question? What would your answer be?


Why I Started Scrapbooking

All my life I've been an arts and crafts kinda person - painting, drawing, decorating, making things. But the one thing I never gave much thought to was scrapbooking. My sister in law was a CM consultant and buried me in presents of albums, paper, and embellishments for many a year. But I stubbornly resisted, thinking there really wasn't much in scrapbooking to interest me. In late 2002 and into 2003 my perspective changed dramatically. . .as did my life. I remarried, watched my baby sister get married, got pregnant with my first child, buried my favorite uncle and my best friend - my Mom, had a baby boy and became a fulltime stepmom to my husband's 4 1/2 year old daughter. Suddenly pictures and the stories behind them became paramount.

When my mother died, I inherited a box of pictures, letters, poems, and memorabilia. There were no scrapbooks, no dates, times, places, people or events on the backs of photos. Though I have a lifetime of memories in this box, many of them will be forever lost to me and my children, because my mother didn't think scrapbooking was important.

After inheriting that box, I decided I wasn't going to leave my family the same thing when I was gone. So I began taking pictures, saving momentos and jotting notes. Though I had little time the first two to three years with kids, I've tried hard to make up for it ever since. I have pursued scrapbooking with a vengeance. It has become my creative outlet. As the self appointed historian of our family, I carry my camera in my purse at all times.

If you scrapbook now, hooray for you!!!!! It is important! If you don't scrapbook, it's never too late to start.

Vicki

No comments: